Welcome to my Astrophotography Blog!

This is a journal of my adventures in astrophotography -- taking images of distant celestial objects. Please look around and feel free to add your comments, questions, and critique to any of the entries by clicking the "comments" button on the bottom of each entry -- or just say "howdy!

And don't forget to click on the images for a larger view!

So choose either the Red pill or the Blue pill and follow me down the wormhole....

JOhn

Comanche Springs Star Party

Comanche Springs Star Party
Doin' my thang at the Comanche Springs Astronomy Campus (where I often become a "red ghost")

Dallas Sky

Rancho Venado Sky

Atoka Sky

Camanche Springs Sky

Sunday, May 4, 2008

LOOK UP!!!

So how did this whole astrophotography fetish start? Well, I've always been interested in Astronomy and stuff from "out there". I remember watching the first moon landing on TV and visits to the planetarium. I later took an astronomy class in college and got my first view of Jupiter and its moons -- very cool! I've always gone outside whenever there has been comets, eclipses, or meteor showers. I've seen the Nothern Lights stretch from horizon to horizon up near the arctic circle. THAT was amazing. I also remember being really blown away when comet Hale-Bopp made an appearance back 1997. You could see it in the daytime! Unfortunately, that's also the comet the Heaven's Gate folks tried to catch a ride on. Anyway....
After working my butt off for many years, I'm enjoying a more leisurely pace and catching up on life. So when comet Holmes made a surprising appearance last winter I once again climbed my roof to take a look. I was having a hard time finding it so I checked an online astronomy site and found some local astronomy clubs that stage "star parties" (where a bunch of folks set up all kinds of telescopes and allow the public to come have a "look see").



So I went to my first star party and not only saw comet Holmes, but whole BUNCH of cool stuff I never saw before! I immediately bought some binoculars and started learning the night sky. A couple of months later I bought my first telescope -- a Celestron CPC 800. I heard that folks actually mount their DSLR cameras onto these scopes and take photos so I thought I'd try it...



WHAMO! That was just TOO cool! I was instantly hooked.

Here is my first astrophoto of the Orion Nebula. It is a single 30 sec. exposure (not great by any stretch, but enough to get me going). Thus it begins.

No comments: